Ipsen Vacation tickers

Saturday, June 11, 2011

What to do, what to do??

So as you read from Brian, it has been a busy week here.  It went by fast and now it's Saturday.  One and a half weeks left here in Mbingo, and I think I can honestly say just in the nick of time (we just about have found our groove here!)  I think everyone would like us to stay longer from what I'm hearing.  We are going to have to have serious conversations about what path this adventure is taking us on and what it means for our future.  At this point I am not sure what God is thinking?!?!

So yes, you all heard right.  I spent three hours (only seemed like maybe one) in the OR with Brian on Wed.  It was amazing!  It hadn't even crossed my mind, as in the states you just don't do that.  But after listening to everyone talk at dinner earlier in the week and hearing what they were doing I decided to make myself at home.  This might be my only opportunity.  And man was it.  I got as close as I could without being scrubbed in.  I was a little nervous about passing out, but to my surprise I was fine.  I guess all these years of hearing the stories and seeing the pictures prepared me.  Although, the cattery was a little overwhelming at times and I had to look away.  Anywho,  I knew it was a big deal for them to attempt this case here in Mbingo and I wanted to see it.  Thanks to God's graces, it went tres bien!!  I was at her head and was able to hold her hand and pray over her and the doctors while they were torquing and yanking and screwing.  It was truly amazing to be able to see them work and see the moments that changed her life forever.  Our God is so GOOD!  Apparently I can go see a c-section too if I want, maybe I'll see about fitting that in next week!

As Brian also said we visited the children again after dinner yesterday.  I am not sure who it helps more, them or me?!?!  I feel a bit selfish in saying that in a way it is healing for me to hug the moms, dads, grandmas, aunts, and the children and see the hope in their faces.  The trust they have in the medical treatment they are receiving is inspiring.  Some of the kids are SO sick, but they smile anyway and it warms my heart.  I hope my smiles warms theirs too!  We also visited with the scoli girl.  Her mother was SO HAPPY!!  She said that her daughter after she woke up from surgery told her to call all of their families and tell them to pray for the Drs because they worked hard and changed her life!  She was so happy!  I didn't know what to say to that, again my heart was touched by their faith.  Monday we are going to take her and the boy with the rickets lots of gifts...for being so brave! 

Yesterday I ventured into Bamenda to do a little shopping with a few other people going to town.  By shopping I don't mean browsing for clothes or shoes, I mean buying flour, tp, veggies, everyday things that you will need for the next several weeks.  It takes 45min. to drive into town.   It was a zoo, that is the only way I know how to describe.  Didn't get many "snaps", apparently police will take cameras way if they see you taking photos in town.  Had to visit about 10 stores and an outdoor market to get everything we needed.  I am not a big shopper anyways, this day gave me a headache.  Was able to pick up a few souvenirs for my nephews and the Khloe Dog though in all the kaos! 


Rice on left, salt on right.  This is how all flour, sugar, salt, corn meal, beans, etc are presented.  You go to store or market and tell them how many kilos you want.  It is bagged for you and you take it home in plastic baggies. 
 


Boy selling eggs.  Walking up and down street at market with cart.
 

At market there are hundreds of vendors trying to sell.  You can buy all sorts of things at market.  All fruits (here oranges and cabbage) and veggies separated in groups.  Best to tell them how much you want to spend and they load a bag of that item for you of your desired amount.  (You ignore the mice running through the barrels!)  But I was impressed with the selection and quality of produce they had. 




At market, chickens they sell whole ($16/chicken), beef and goat is butchered in the vendors tent and laid out on the table out front for you to choose from (no refrigeration and lots of flys).  Fish is sold whole, usually frozen or already cooked, also on tables displayed for you to pick from.  I am really looking forward to a nice steak when we get home!  Not much meat for me here!

As I said, highlight of shopping what the twix Suzanne bought me on the way out of town.

Went to bed early due to the termite invasion.  So nasty!  I can handle the ants and roaches and mice, but this getting a bit extreme!  Tonight we are bug spraying all the outside windows before dark with the super toxic African bug spray.  I hope it works so I don't have to tell the kids to sleep with their mouths closed!!! :)

Grace and I left for breakfast early today to take a run.  Grace is getting jealous that Grandma and I are both loosing a little weight and she is not.  So she came up with this great plan that she and I need to start running.  I say maybe not so many Puff-puffs!  No, I'll go along with it for now and see how it goes.  Didn't make it too far today.  Hiking has been ok, but I sure could tell the altitude difference when I was running.  Not quite the same as at home.  Also VERY bad roads and I do not want either of us breaking an ankle while here!

Today I have a large pile of laundry to do.  So why am I blogging you ask?!?!  Well that would be because we have no water.  Can you believe it? All the rain and NO WATER!  I was really motivated this morning after breakfast to get it done.  (Hand washing two small buckets will take me two hours)  So I'm a bit frustrated right now with west Africa and I am positive that I will never complain of laundry again when I get home.  I have so much respect for my ancestors and the people here who have to hand wash clothes everyday.  And PRAISES for a washer and dryer at home!

Oh well, we are enjoying a mild day outside.  Kids playing, not sure what mom is doing (probably still sweeping termite wings), daddy is bored and is walking around snapping photos.  I probably should try to motivate a hike or something unless the water has decided to come back on and it doesn't look like rain yet. 

Hope you all are enjoying our blog.  We look forward to sharing with you what we are doing.  I hope that it is not too boring!  Just kidding.  Still praying for all you friends in Joplin.  You are on my heart EVERYDAY! 

Angela, tell Wally and Bells that we miss them.  And again, thanks for taking care of them.  I don't know what I would do without your!  Love you! 

Hugs and Kisses to you all
-al

PS-Granny, The Red Velvet Cake turned out great!  It was a big hit!  Thnx
Sorry bout the small print, not sure how to fix it.  Will do better next time!
















 


2 comments:

JenR said...

Oh Amy, none of us are bored by your blogging. So many of us look forward to it, looking every day to see if you all have posted news of your daily adventures. All of the nurses in the family want to know when we get to help in the OR. It sounds so neat and Gpa Allan is jealous of all the neat hikes you guys are taking. Please be safe. Anxiously awaiting your next post. Jen.
P.S. tell Brian that Frank hopes that his text message that he sent at 6 pm our time did not disturb your sleep. I let him in on the time difference! :)

JenR said...

Also, that is a great picture of the kiddos in the tree!