Ipsen Vacation tickers

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Full Moon Over Mbingo

Last night we got to see a full moon over Mbingo.  The rain has slowed and we can see the stars at night.

For lunch yesterday we were treated with traditional Cameroonian food, Fufu and NJama Jama.  This meal they also say is like "Eating your Wheaties" in the US, "eat your fufu njama jama make you strong"!  Fufu is a starch made out of boiled ground corn stalk. Njama Jama is a spinach like vegetable that is boiled and seasoned.  It was served to eat on top of the fufu.  Then to make it really tasty, Margaret added a tomato sauce to top it all off.  It was different but tasty.  And as you will see, we were allowed to use our forks.  The locals use their hands.  Even Joe tried it!

                                                                                                                                                                         
I don't have pictures yet, but Brian got invited to play football with the local big boys on Tuesday.  They play every Tuesday in the afternoon.  He played about 20 min with the 40 or so 20ish yo Cameroonians and decided maybe he had done enough damage.  After 18 years of retirement, he was just glad they asked him to play.  He said he may go again next week, we'll see, they play pretty hard!

We played cards AGAIN after dinner with our new friends, Stephanie and Luaren, this time Phase 10.  Then shared some homeade cherry sherbert (thanks to aunt Sam!), yummy!

Today as you know started with the crows, gggggrrrrr!  After breakfast I went to donate blood.  Figured since I can't in the States anymore they could surely use it here.  To my surprise, it is not good enough for Africa either.  Who knew!  The US won't take it cause of the risk of diseases I may carry due to the countries I've traveled to and Africa doesn't want it because of the medication that I take to keep me from getting the diseases that are high risk to their country.  I have to say I was a little disappointed!  I've always felt that blood donation is an easy way to give and help saves lives in my own small way.  Anywho...

After lunch mom helped Lauren and Stephanie (the dietician students volunteers) with their "Nutrition Bible School".  It was in our yard for the kids that live near us. They taught them some fun songs, taught some nutrition fun facts, and played games with them.  I think the girls found out that it is hard to get the local kids focused on game rules, taking turns, and staying in lines.  They are SO excited to participate and play that they crowd, rush, and are a little loud, but they all had a great time!

About 20 more showed up after I took this picture!

After the Bible camp, we decided to venture to the hospital again with some goodies.  The whole crew went (except daddy, he was working).  Today we took silly bandz, bubbles, and airplanes.  The kids LOVED it!  I love it when we make them smile.  It just makes my heart smile!!
Visited Brian's scoli patient. (The one I was in on!)  She was SO excited when we showed up that she insisted  on getting out of bed to take a picture with the kids!  She is so happy and so brave!

This little girl has been here since we have also.  She has a skin disease that they do not know what it is.  She is so sweet, smiles and is happy despite her pain.

This little girl has Burkitt's lymphoma.  I tried really hard to get her to smile and got nothing, until I showed her her picture of her and Gracie on the camera.  I wish I had a way to print them off and give them to them.  Next trip I am bringing a polaroid!
Joe and Toby even helped cheer them up by blowing bubbles on the lawn for the kids that got to go outside.
This is Ruby!  Ruby was burned by boiling water.   She LOVES the silly bandz  and I loved her smile!  This is why we are here...to make their days a little brighter!

This little man just had the greatest smile, I had to take his picture!

This is my little friend, he also has Burkitt's lymphoma.  There is a section of the children's ward that cares only for children with this disease.  It is heartbreaking to visit because they are so sick they don't even want to smile!  I wish I could just take all their pain away.






All in all it was a good day.  I felt God near us and His healing hands with those around us!  We are so blessed.  Now off to supper, we have been invited to dinner at Dr Bardin and his wife Debbie's house.  I am not sure what all Brian did today.  Not many cases, lots of clinic.  I'm sure he will blog it soon.

Till later...




No comments: