Ipsen Vacation tickers

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Asha!!

"Asha", the word  the Cameroonians use regularly around here.  So much so that we have picked it up in our own speech.  I have noticed it used when greeting others, when one is hurt or needs help, as an end to a conversation, nearly always at some point in every conversation.  Since it is so generally used, I google searched the meaning to find out the exact meaning.  It is a word that expresses empathy and loosely means "I feel sorry for your life".  It struck me funny (not haha funny!!) and again can feel the sadness grow from the pit of my stomach for the people here whose lives are about survival.  WE HAVE NO IDEA!!  And I do not have words to articulate how normal a life this is for them.  How is it normal that the girl with the OPEN tibia fracture waited three weeks to come in?  How is it normal the it monsoons nearly every day, and yet with all that water available they have to carry buckets of water to their houses because there is no indoor plumbing?  How is it normal that they cut the whole yard of grass with a machete hunched over in the heat?  How is it normal that Grace's little friend Hannah after standing and waiting all day at the hospital for test to be done, found out that she has malaria?  Do I just say, "Asha", smile  and walk on?  Asha!!

After some encouraging words from my gal pals, Grace and I decided that no, we need to do more.  So yesterday we went  to the pediatric ward at the hospital.  We handed out some balls that we had brought the said "Smile, Jesus loves you!" and silly bands.  The kids loved them.  As Grace handed them out, I hugged the moms, gave some words of encouragement, and shared some love.  Even though some of them did not understand us, I think they liked to see faces other than the docs and nurses.  Next time we are taking bubbles, that should be a real hit!  Here are some of our pics.
 






Oh, time for luch.  I'll finish my story later!
Salute!

3 comments:

Bryon said...

Amy,
What a wonderful Blog! It really gives me a better perspective on all of our lives here in the U.S.
Is there anyway I can send some dental instruments to you to give to their dental clinic? I will gladly do it!
Bryon

missallizoom said...

Asha kind of sounds like awww sh** and means the very same it would seem... I'm so glad Brian can make such a positive impact there. Just think all the hours he spends mentoring their docs and next year perhaps you will come back and he will see his teaching at work. Keep up the good work!

Amy Lea said...

Bryon-
I am putting a list of needs together. And yes I would love it if you could help. I will organize once I get back to states. They only get container shipments from states once year (in Jan)as there is no FedEx here or mail for that matter! I am also gonna have to hit up some reps for some larger items too and will need the contacts, might need your help with that too. Thanks for you kindness. Love ya! -al