Ipsen Vacation tickers

Friday, June 24, 2011

BEEP...BEEP...BEEP (I'm thinking Toby's Pretend Big Truck Backing up BEEPS)!!

Backing up to our Tuesday since I didn't get it blogged, Brian jumped the gun on me (no pun intended given our current arrangements). 

Brian was done with spine cases because Dr. Nana was out of town and only did ortho trauma stuff on Monday and Tuesday, so I'm sorry to say that I don't have anything interesting to give you from him.  I think it was just another typical day in the ortho hood, i.e. bone infections, broken femurs, external fixators, those sorts of things.  He was busy though, just nothing too exciting.

I on the other hand, Tuesday had one of the best experiences that I had had in my time spent in Mbingo.  I was given the opportunity to tag along on a home counseling visit with one of the chaplains to an HIV patient that had decided to discontinue all medical treatment.  Comfort (the chaplain) and I started out after breakfast.  We took a cab to Bello, a little town about 15 min further up the mountain from Mbingo.  In Bello, we got moto drivers to take us even farther up the mountain (in farther I mean where cars do not travel!).  And for those of you wondering, yes I had Brian's blessing but only if I wore a helmet.  What makes you stand out more than being white in Cameroon?  Being white with a helmet!  It was all good!  As the road got narrower and narrower, steeper, ruttier, and the driver says "move closer", I'm starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into!  All is good!  We make it to our destination (almost), a traditional tribal compound.  We have to hike over a creek and up a steep section of hill to make it her house.  All the while passing many village men work on building a bridge by hand over the creek and many children playing, all of them very excited to see me and all stopping to watch me and say hi.  I wonder how often a white person has come into their compound?  After we make our journey there, we finally find Miss Justine.

Justine is a 27 yo that is HIV positive.  Her husband died from the disease two years ago and she has two beautiful little boys.  Several months ago she stopped taking the medication, quit coming to the hospital for follow ups and decided that she just wanted to die.  Comfort visited her a month ago and she was not wanting any help or treatment.  Comfort was hoping to visit with her again to encourage her to change her mind.  I was delighted that she invited us (me) into her home, I was not sure how we (I) would be received.  After some positive support and discussion, Comfort was able to convince her that she needed to have the children tested even if she was not going to further her treatment.  I think that the possibility of them having the disease is what was scaring her more than anything.  She agreed, we were able to test them right there in their home!  I didn't mention that their home was like stepping back into the 1800s.  It was a dirt floor hut, fire pit in the middle, no ventilation, no electric, no plumbing, the whole one room house was prob 12x12.  There were 4 beds smaller than twin size with what looked like straw mattresses, I could hardly wrap my head around the fact that there are still people that live like this.  We really have no idea.  Comfort said the last time she came the boys did not have clothes on because they were drying on the line, laundry day and they each only have one set of clothes.  So here we were performing a rapid HIV test on a two yo and an 11 month old in their primitive home in the mountains of West Africa.  Can I say that was about the longest three minutes of my life.  I was glad that I was holding and playing with the baby  to distract me (and praying at the same time), cannot imagine what sweet Justine was feeling!  IT WAS NEGATIVE!!!  Praise the Lord, praise the Lord!  It was negative, both of the boys!  We were all so relieved, my stomach feels sick again reliving those moments.  Ok, where from here?!?!  God is Good, Justine was so happy and relieved that I saw hope in her.  That is what she had lost...HOPE!  We all talked about her strength, her need to be healthy for her HEALTHY boys, and she agreed to come back to Mbingo to start treatment again!  Now with a glimpse of hope again, I asked to take her and her families picture, she said yes.  Comfort and I both hugged her tight and then we left.  I also forgot to mention that this disease is very much shunned in this culture.  Mainly because of ignorance towards it which makes it hard to live with it because of social issues along with the health issues.  Family members will not even touch you if you are HIV pos.  I told her that I would hug her every day if I could, I pray she will feel my hug for a long time!




I love this picture!  I printed these two pictures before I left and gave them to Comfort to give to her.  I would guess that she has never had a picture of her and her kids
 



So, we trecked back down the hill, I shook everyone's hands along the way.  They all thanked me for coming to their village, got back on our motos and headed to Bello.

In bello another interesting adventure when we hailed the cab back to Mbingo...How many people do you guess can fit into a Toyota corolla?  Why you say, because I was one of EIGHT!  Yes, eight adult people were in the car ride back.  One next to me was a very pregnant lady, which actually counts as nine I think.  It was unreal.  I'm pretty sure Brian would have gotten mad at the cabby if he would have touched me the way he touched the man sitting with him in his seat while he was shifting!!  When we made it back, I told the cabby that he'd probably go to jail if he tried that in the states.  Then we all unsardined ourselves from the car and Comfort and I had a good giggle.  She said I did good today for a white girl!

We finished the rest of the day making sure all of our luggage was ant, roach, termite, snake, spider, and mice free.  We marathon packed and got ready to head out early the next morn.

Thurs morn we were up early for chapel, then ready to leave.  Some of our friends were even there to see us off.  Richard from next door came to say goodbye (it was about the eighth time he'd been there).  I think Mbingo might miss the Ipsen's and grandma Roxy.  We assured them all that we already we discussing our return!

Made to long six hour drive to Douala, made it to the airport relatively uneventful.  Flight good, three hour drive to lodge in South Africa on early Thursday morn.  It is more like you picture Africa in your head here, dry season so brown, grassy, but it's cool.  Already seen tons of animals.  It's crazy to drive along and see giraffes and zebras.  As you know Brian has already "thrown some lead"  and taken down a couple magnificent animals.  We have had some meat from a couple already and it is very tasty.  Kudu sausage for breakfast was delicious.  We cannot wait to try more.  Kids tried to swim yesterday, a little chilly but still made it in (came out blue)! 

This morning I went out to test my rifle skills, hit the spot twice dead on.  They told me no worries, lead up!  So the whole fam went out.  Unfortunately it was rather windy and we saw very little animals and neither of us got a shot at a single thing.  Maybe the next outing will be better!

I will try to get some pictures up from here.  Mom has the camera with her right now.  The internet is a little slower too, so I'll try to keep up as best I can, but hope to show some of the awesome wildlife here.

Hug the one next to you!  We miss you all and love you much. 
Till I blog again-  al

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I can't tell you how inspiring your blogs have been! What a courageous & spirited woman you are....and an encouragement to ALL Christian women! Unafraid to step out and follow where Christ leads you.....I admire that!

I am so thankful that you are the hands that touch, the arms that hug, and the heart that overflows for those of us who have not had the opening to serve in that way. Bless you for your visit to this dear mother with such young children and helping to allay some of her fears.

I know Dr. Palmer has done a lot of work with HIV patients, and making a difference in Cameroon with inroads against that disease played a big part in drawing him back there.

May your family enjoy a different part of Africa now...and may God bring you home safely again.

Jeannie Hall
UMKC - School of Medicine

wanda said...

Amazing - can't wait to hear more. Very proud of you.

Lawrie Weinberg Knox said...

You have such a huge heart Amy! I admire you!