Ipsen Vacation tickers

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Wrapping up week one in Mbingo

Hello all, it's been a busy last couple of days you know with all the playing, napping, reading, hiking, working, eating, and laundry that we are doing!
Playing army men
The boys are busy busy with their friends.  After only a week I already heard Joe say that he hopes he can come back next year.  I love that he is making those friendships and feels so comfortable here.  His friend Jesse, who went hiking with us and is in the blue shirt in this picture, is leaving today for the rest of the summer.  His parents live in Bamenda (45min away) and he spends the school year here in Mbingo with his grandmother so that he can go to the school here.  So, home he goes.  It is a sad day for Joe since this is his closest friend here.  But, there are still lots of kids to play with. 

Toby, he is such a great kid.  Some days he goes with the flow and some days he does his own thing.  Joe and him play really well together, sometimes he hangs out with Grace, sometimes he wants to be with me reading or playing on the computer, or he's walking around snapping photos.  He has taken some really nice pictures, especially the many of his blankie which is his favorite subject to photo!


Joe visiting dental clinic
dental clinic staff and all the goodies we brought them
 Yesterday was busy.  We started the morning after breakfast with a trip to the dental clinic.  Joe went with me to help unpack all the supplies we brought them.  They were so excited!  Thanks to Goetze Dental they got two new handpieces and safety glasses, I brought over two ultrasonic scalers and new hand instruments, and some other misc supplies.  Also, thanks to Dr Kivett and Renger for the ultrasonic tips and fluoride.  I helped them set it all up and I am sure they are using it already today.  Remembering last year and the resourcefulness of the staff in the clinic with the little equipment they have, I was happy that I could help them.  I hope that it will make their work a little easier. 

Here are the boys and b at the top of Mt Mbingo
In the afternoon the boys wanted to take a hike.  I was a bit apprehensive about them climbing Mt Mbingo after the tales of how hard it was last year, but B insisted that it would b alright.  They took the walkie talkie with them so that they could call me when they reached the top.  I was surprised when after only 45 min or so I got a call to come out to the front of the hospital.  I thought sure one of them lost a hold or footing, rolled down the mountain, and I was meeting a gurney in the front of the hospital.  But, again my worries were over reaction as they had indeed made it to the top! 

Grace playing volleyball, notice the net


Grace and Jose
Gracie playing soccer


 
Susan Post op day 1
Grace has been trying to keep herself busy, but unfortunately, yesterday was the day she decided she wanted to go home.  Now she is scheming who she can hitch a ride with to Douala, how she is going to convince them to let her change her airline ticket, and then who she is going to call when she makes it back to MO to come pick her up.  I have to give her credit for really thinking it through and making a relatively good plan.  I told her she could just fake a heart attach or something and then call the med evac to come lift her out and take her home.  I was joking of coarse, but she seemed to seriously think about this as a possibility.  Needless to say, she ain't goin' anywhere.  I think she just had a bad day yesterday.  She plays every day with the kids in the hood and had made herself quite comfortable with them.  Yesterday she helped Jose wash his school uniform, or at least kept him company while he did it.  Then she played volleyball.  The older kids fashioned together this volleyball net out of sticks, and old string.  I was very impressed again with their resourcefulness.  I think it is a nice change for them from football.  Nari, one of the hood boys, taught her how to make beans and fried plantains so now she can cook dinners for us.  And today she came in and washed some of her own clothes cause she didn't like the way I did it.  This is a great experience for her and I pray that she will bring some of these skills she is learning home with her!

While the boys were hiking yesterday, Grace and I went to the hospital to sit with Susan.  Her dad was up all night with her and hadn't slept hardly any in the last two days, so we relieved him for a few hours so that he could go sleep.  So I read a book to her for a bit, she played some fruit ninja, we talked about how much she wanted to get out of the bed.  Given the circumstances, Susan is doing good, she is just very uncomfortable and is tired of being in the hospital bed.  She is a trooper and I cannot wait to see her walking soon.

I'm getting lunch ready, eating at house today.  The kids are super excited for mac n cheese and vienna sausages.  Then grace and I are headed to Bamenda to do some shopping.  We are going with Comfort, the chaplain that lives behind us, and her daughter Becky.  It will be an adventure so I will for sure fill you in when we return.

Till then...
amy lea




3 comments:

ShayH said...

Wow! So glad Susan's surgery & so many others have gone so well. Bill & I have enjoyed reading the updates. Your post about the things 'you would only see in Africa' have me nodding my head & laughing with memories! Thanks so much for blogging. Excited for what God is doing through you both & to you both & he family there! Praying many blessings for you all & for those there.

pritzel_sam said...

sooooooo enjoy these pictures and blogs. please stay safe, no rolling down the "hills" maybe you
should consider wearing head gear and padding?

Amy Lea said...

Sam, helmet and padding will be covered in the "Adventures to Bamenda" blog, coming soon! Love ya!