Ipsen Vacation tickers

Thursday, June 28, 2012

LAST THURSDAY IN MBINGO 2012

We are at the end of our month here in Mbingo. It is very bitter sweet to think about heading back to MO. We had discussed not coming back next year and taking the year "off". But, after being here again we are both ready to commit to another trip. (DON'T TELL GRACE!!!)

I am looking forward to my own bed. It is really difficult to sleep well and on a good schedule here. Last night was about the worst besides the first couple nights with jet lag thrown in. The crows where scratching at the zinc on the roof ALL NIGHT. Next year...you think I can get a BB Gun through customs?!?! Toby was also in bed with me, since B is out of town, which didn't help my sleep any. Tonight B will still be gone so I'm thinkin' Joe and Toby together in my bed and I'll sleep in their bed. Margaret told me the crows were out because the moon was full last night. I'm prayin' for clouds tonight. More specifically, clouds with no rain, as I also have to get clothes washed, hung, and dried before we head out Sat morning. Lots to do.

As I said, Brian has taken off, left us here to fend for ourselves. Dr Nana had to go to Yaoundé (the capital) to get his visa so that he can travel to the US for a med conference later this summer. B decided he had done enough surg and wanted to go with him to check out how thing run at the embassy. He left yesterday morning, should be back sometime tonight or tomorrow night, you know it's Africa. I'm planning on tomorrow night. He likes to do things like this. It never fails when we have to get packed to leave somewhere, he always seems to disappear. Leaving me to get everything together. I told him I was leaving with or without him in case he doesn't get back in time. But as I was lying awake in bed last night, I realized that he has all of our passports in his back pack that he had on him when he left. Asha! As long as there are no African hold ups (you know, like an emergency oil change that has to be done RIGHT NOW so that we make it home, but putting us behind schedule by 2 hours)! I'm sure all will be fine. :)

I think Grace has just about perfected her baby carrying techniques. I told her that she had really "Africaned Up" when she walked in with Toby strapped to her back. She won't be weak anymore if she keeps that up. I did have to intervene when she started to strap Joe to her back. I am not interested in a trip to triage here while B is gone, or any time for that matter.

As you can see Susan is doing very well. She is such a great person. She is so patient with Toby and his Go Fish obsession. The rest of us are about Go Fished out! Today we visited the Pediatric Ward again to take goodies. She had such a great time. On our walk home, she and Grace kept saying how much fun it is to do that. I told her that I think she should be a pediatric doctor or nurse when she grows up. She said, "Yes, that would be nice!"

I know that you are probably tired of the pics of the sick kids, but it just warms my heart so to see these kids smile and laugh. You can tell some of them are really sick by the look on their faces. And to see them smile...it's a God thing! One of the doctors stopped us today and thanked us for all the goodies. She said that the puppets and dolls (made by Joe's art club) were a big hit. She said that the kids were all so happy after we left that day. We have some bubbles, bracelets, and paddles left that we are going to leave with that doctor. We thought that she should get to be good guy too!

We also stopped by the maternity ward to drop off the blankets that Donna sent with us. The nurses were very excited to have new blankets. They let us come in their "nurse station" and watch them work on a new baby. As we were walking out I noticed that they had an ear piercing gun lying on the table. You know, like the ones they use at Claire's at the mall. I know that they tell girls and boys apart by the pierced ears, but I figured they did it later. Of course I asked about it, since I thought it kinda strange. And yes, they pierce the girls' ears as soon as they are born. All of them! I tried to talk Grace into letting them pierce her ears again. She has wanted to get a second set. The nurse said she would do it for her. Her reply, "No way Jose". We all laughed!

The funniest thing happened after we left maternity. Outside on the veranda (where they watch the "football" games on one of the only tvs on the compound) they were getting ready to have their weekly breast feeding clinic. They teach, encourage, and help new mothers with nursing. As well as educate them about the risk and benefits (malnutrition, HIV transmission, etc.) of nursing. There were probably 30ish women there in the area and at least half of them were breast feeding their babies. As I'm sure you can imagine, modesty is not an issue here. You get what I'm saying. There were breasts every direction you turned. I really wanted to turn around and see the look on Grace's face but I didn't want to be obvious and embarrass her more than what I knew she already was. After we were around the corner, Gracie let out a big breath and said, "Mom, did you see that. It was like a breast feeding party!" We laughed again!


Lesson learned!


Susan is so sweet.  She plays Go Fish with Toby more than anyone else.  He loves her!!

Check out this little guys face.  His left arm is severly burned and he can't use it.  But he was working so hard with the other hand to learn how to play with the paddle ball.  He was too cute!



Bubbles are deifinitely a favorite, for kids and moms!



Thank you to Donna Whittle (and her mother) for the blankets for the babies in the maternity ward.  They were very happy to get them.

Ok, I think it is time for a quick siesta, then another french lesson, organizing toys that we are going to "dash", try to wash the boys' blankets for the trip home, try to get Tobs to eat something (We have started struggling with this again. He hasn't eaten anything substantial in three days.), and play a few last games of Go Fish.

I'll try to get one more blog in before we leave. I know that B has some stuff he could tell you about...if he were here. If I don't get time in before we leave, I'll let you all know when we reach Paris!!!!
Happy Thursday All!
amy lea

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessings & Safe Travels!!!

wanda said...

Grace, you are beautiful, as always, and I am struck by how beautiful the women are - Susan, the nurses, beautiful! And Susan is standing so straight and tall! Toby, will have to learn how to say, "Go Fish" in French soon! Love to you all - safe travels - enjoy!

shannon said...

Glad all is still well! Things in jomo are fine except the heat, really HOT HERE! 100 the last several days! Kel got your transportation to Fayetteville. Hope Paris is fun. Safe travels, look forward to hearing all about the trip and seeing all the pics!
Shannon