Ipsen Vacation tickers

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Is there a Pediatrician in the House???

I usually hate doctoring on my kids, so was good to figure out why Toby has had diarrhea for two straight days.  He apparently didn't get the memo to only drink the filtered water...
When I came home this afternoon, I saw him drinking from the water spout behind the house that all the homes behind I use for their water...difference is their GI tracts are accustomed to the flora, I guess soon so will his :)



So I've been busy the last two days,  Dr Nana had a episode of PSVT with heart rate in the 170's, pretty fast for the non-medical readers, so he got fixed with the old school fix (carotid massage) which was cool to see and then has been resting at home for two days.  A good and bad thing...I've been clearing house and fixing every broken thing we can find so they are not laying around...
It has been pretty busy though and I again have seen crazy stuff you don't even see in books.  The femoral recurvatum  (curved leg bone) was nuts... It was really that crooked, no photoshop, insane!!! His right leg looked the same before Dr Nana fixed it several months ago, so as you can see they do pretty amazing work here.


The 3 year old, with part of her humerus missing from infection, she would sit there and twist her arm 270 degrees backward... nuts.  Too small to fix, maybe in a year or two Dr Nana can do a bone transport to get her healed.


And the man with severe leg and pelvic trauma strolling around I included mostly for the orthopod followers who would be amazed at the crazy post-traumatic position of his pelvis.  Thats the only intramedullary nail they have, so thats why it was treating a shaft and neck fx that way, best option they have.



I also included a teaching pic...I enjoy teaching the general surgery residents here who often get sent out to other African countries and they are the only surgeon in the region or even entire country.  So knowing how to do basic orthopaedics serves them well.  Often times I think they have to learn just by watching, so they really enjoy when I let them get in there and do it.  I'd showed the team how to do a closed nailing of a femur fracture which I should have bet them some CFA (african money) I could do as they all wanted to slice open the whole leg...we got it done and actually pretty nicely.  I'm learning much from them and its amazing and sometimes sad to see the healing potential of the human body when forced to try to overcome maladies that are never allowed to happen in the States.
Last is the picture from the hill to the northwest which my family hiked to after church on Sunday.  It was a great new perspective on the valley and mountain range.  I've put an arrow on the hill we (Dr Keith & wife Kay, Dr Sparks and I) hiked up on Saturday.  I guess Adamo the cattle herder also helped us up the last ascent as we needed a little guidance on how to reach the summit.  Was a very tough climb, little over 7100ft, and was about 2600 feet in elevation change and several miles, I was working to keep up with the very in shape late 60's year old Australian.  Other arrow is the compound.  Was a real sense of achivement to summit, also told me I need to do more cardio.

More Spine surgery tomorrow so off to bed...


BI


2 comments:

monaipsen said...

Poor Toby! I guess he assumed that if everyone else drinks from the water spigot,that is what he is to do also. Hope his diarrhea improves. Probably a kiss from his grandma would make everything better! Love, Grandma Mona

Alexis said...

Poor toby!! I hope he gets to feeling better!! Hope everyone is doing well and having a great time! Tell the kids I love them and miss them!!
Love, Alexis