Ipsen Vacation tickers

Tuesday, June 12, 2012


Cordillia is one of our hood girls, she found this very neat bird nest and baby bird on her farm and brought it to show the kids.  I just had to share cause I thought it really cool.  The nest is amazing, very intricately made.  It was very nice of her to share it with us even though unfortunately the bird did not live since all the kids played with it.

The kids have been really impressing me the last couple days with their ability to entertain themselves and others.  Grace is starting to venture out more and we are letting her make trips to the local market or to the hospital canteen by herself.  The boys play from sun up to sun down.  I was really happy when I saw Joe found a sandpit next door and he and the other kids made this really cool army camp.  Daddy fashioned another swing out of a log and rope for the kids.  Now again a popular spot to play.  There are still "football" and volleyball games every day.  I even played volleyball last night with a few of the kids.  They are working today to improve the net.  Actually digging holes and setting the post of the net so that it stands straighter.  Toby has become a fan of the "Go Fish" game.  Today he and I played.  Actually Toby played his hand and played my hand for me at the same time cause I was trying to get the laundry finished and out before it rained and he did not have the patients to wait for me.  It was pretty cute.  He did a really good job keeping it all straight!  And he still added his exaggerated expressions when he got the cards he wanted. 

Daddy worked late yesterday.  Dr Nana was sick and so he ran clinic.  He made them work harder than normal.  I'm sure the clinic/or staff will be happy when Dr Nana returns.







Grace decided last night that she could not let her brothers show her up.  So, Becky and her decided that this morning they were going to hike Mt Mbingo by themselves.  I was a bit reluctant to allow this as I am an overprotective parent, but given Grace's recent attitude about not wanting to be here, I decided that if daddy approved then it would be ok.  It is good to see her with a purpose and plan for the day.  He approved and they made a plan.  Backpack, water, camera, walkie talkies, tennis shoes (Becky does not have any and had to squeeze into an extra pair of Grace's), raincoats, and band aids.  They left shortly after breakfast so to beat the afternoon rain.  I was expecting them to be gone all day.  40 minutes after they left Grace's voice rang across my walkie talkie.  As with the boys the days before when daddy summoned me to the front of the hospital, I thought something was wrong.  The only thing wrong was me...again.  They had already made it to the top!!  I couldn't believe it.  I went outside to find them and sure enough, there they were.  I photoed them, all the kids gathered round to wave at them.  Before they left Nari had told them about the wild dogs that live up on the mountain and attacked people and he said that the girls shouldn't go alone without protection.  I guess they showed him.  No encounters with wild dogs, at least not today.  I think the older boys secretly were impressed by their feat.  All the hood kids wanted to talk to them on the walkie talkie.  They thought it was pretty cool that we could do that.  Although, it was very hard to explain to them how the thing worked.  Some of them I had to do it for them cause they just couldn't get the "press, talk, release, listen" concept.  The girls were proud they made it and headed down.  I think daddy was impressed too that they actually made it all the way to the top and in great time.  Gracie has been in a bit better mood now that she has left the house and started finding things to do.  :)





Quick update on Susan, she was released from the hospital yesterday.  She is back in her room with her dad.  We are all happy for that, she will be more comfortable there.  This morning she walked into breakfast and seriously you would have no idea that she just had major spine surgery. She is walking so good, upright, and it seems relatively painless.  If she is in pain, she is not showing it.  The hard part now will be keeping her from doing too much too fast.  She still has healing before she can travel home to Gambia but she is not a sit still kinda girl.  I am hoping that Grace can keep her entertained without much physical stress. 



B just got home from work, so till next time.
amy lea

1 comment:

pritzel_sam said...

glad to hear things are going well. scares me to death about grace going on her own. just saying. take care and kisses to all.