Ipsen Vacation tickers

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hard Days

So I've been the only Orthopod and running what is a very busy, big show here.  5 surgeries yesterday, then last night they came to get me at 9:30 at night and requested me to come to the theatre...what they had was a 28 year old police man hit on a motorcycle with a very bad pelvis injury.  He was bleeding to death, and so for a place with very limited blood bank, putting a external fixator on his pelvis might have just saved his life.  He was doing well enough to thank me this morning, that in itself was pretty rewarding.


I also had a cervical spine fracture I fixed this morning, I don't yet have the post-operative xray to show, but the xray of the neck shows just how broke it was.  Also fixed a very difficult hip fracture, without the benefit of xrays, so it looks pretty acceptable for what I have to use here.
Also fixed a broken arm, that was done elsewhere that the plate had pulled away from the bone.




Last is how much bad motorcycle trauma we see, this one would be tough even in the states, but is impossible here.  We  washed it out and put an external fixator on it and will hope for the best.

1 comment:

shannon said...

Your the man! Got to be hard to know you can fix stuff better, but can't? I would be right in the middle trying to help fix, it would be fun and hard at the same time, hate to say it but we miss you a little! Be safe! Btw, went to see kel and Ang and the new baby today, all doing well! See ya!