Ipsen Vacation tickers

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Good Nights Rest

Monday I started to stress a little about all the things that need to be done in the next two days.  (Don't tell my friend Tami!  She would FREAK out at my list and my procrastination!)  I don't know why, I always get it done, I know I work better under pressure, and I know it will be fine.  Yet, I still worry.  Normally I do not sleep well when I am under lots of stress, but that night I had the best sleep.  It was like a drug induced sleep, but I didn't eat or drink anything to cause that.  Guess I just needed it and it was provided! But, as all good things must come to an end...

My tired body in protest the next am, must have unconsciously turned off my alarm instead of hitting snooze...

And I overslept!  Gggrrrrr!  

So, I put on my roller skates and started to prepare for my day.  Despite my restful sleep, the now rushing around because I overslept caused anxiety overload again.  I was in the kitchen grumpy and yelling, slamming lunches together when the song "Praise and Thanksgiving" popped into my head.  I started singing it.  With so many other thoughts running through my head, it seemed strange that I would think of that song. You know, good old traditional German Lutheran that I am.  But why now?  As I was singing it I had trouble remembering all the words to the verses, I kept singing what I remembered anyways!  It seemed to calm me down a bit and help me focus on my task at hand.  After I took the kids to school it was still stuck in my head, so I decided to look up the rest of the words to refresh my memory.  Here is what I found that I wanted to share with you...

"Bless, Lord, the labor we bring to serve you,
that with our neighbor we may be fed.
Sowing or tilling, we would work with you,
harvesting, milling for daily bread.

Father, providing food for your children,
by your wise guiding, teach us to share
one with another, so that, rejoicing
with us, all others may know your care."


HUH...
I reflected on the words for a few minutes and was happy with the message that God was sending me.  (At least I think that is what was happening)  In the midst of our preparations for this trip, I need to work WITH God and not try to make it all happen on my  own.  This mission is an opportunity that God placed in our laps.  "Here I Am, Send Me!!"  Working with Him, following His direction, we share the gifts and talents that God has blessed us with with others.  It is a privilege to get to serve Him in this way.  From all the preparations to sharing with others our experiences when we return home, it should all be done with JOY, NOT STRESS!  He has and will continue to provide and guide.  We do and will continue to serve and share with thanksgiving, rejoicing, and love.  Wow, pastor you can use that in your sermon Sunday!!  I usually don't get that preachy, but I am SO EXCITED!  Today I am NOT stressed, even with a kid home puking.  (Please pray for that to end and not spread!)

On to business, the front part of our leadership team has arrived safely in Senegal and is making preparations for our arrival on Saturday so that we can hit the ground running.  We have so much to do there in such a short amount of time.  I might need to bring those roller skates with me!!  :)

Toby's bible memory verse for this week, "Shine as light in the world, hold steadfast to the Word of life."  Philippians 2:15-16

Happy Wednesday everyone!


1 comment:

Mona said...

You should be on your way by now, so hopefully you will have an uneventful day (days?) of travel and will not be too tired to go to work. Will be praying that you 2 have a very good experience and are able to help a lot of people. Please take lots of pics and stay safe. We love you! Dad and Mom